“Life is like a garden. You reap what you sow. From your own fertile soil your seedlings do grow.”
It’s been a long while since I have sat down and penned something and so it is with great joy that I share with you something that came to mind this morning. Hope it speaks something to you.
Each of our lives is like a garden that has been entrusted to our care. Meaning each of us is the Gardener to the garden of our life.
1) Unique : No two plots or pieces of land are identical. Whatever we have; our families, our time, our talents, our friends, our relatives, our homes are where we cultivate our garden. We need to love and accept what we have been given and make the most beautiful garden out of it.
2) Free Choice : We are all given freedom to grow whatever we want in our garden. We can grow flowers or ornamental plants or fruits or vegetables or we may just leave it as it is. The choice is ours.
3) Investment Required: Once we have made our choice, we will have to invest into the garden. We need to give it time, energy,money in order to purchase the necessary tools, fertilizer,seed, etc. Some amount of sacrifice may be required if we want to do something worthwhile in life.
4) Ploughing the land : This means we actually dig out the hard soil of our garden and thus make it softer and ready to receive the seed we plan to sow. This refers to the teachability of the soil of our hearts to receive.
5) Uprooting the weeds: There may already be many weeds and other outgrowth that may spoil the garden and choke the good seed and so we will need to pluck out all of them to ensure a healthy environment for the proper growth of the plants we want to grow. This refers to the uprooting of our wrong mindsets and attitudes many which have grown strong roots as they have been there for a long time. This process may be time consuming, tiring and often even painful but it is inevitable if we want to have a beautiful garden.
6) Sowing good seed: The seed that we sow refers to the thoughts we meditate on , the words we speak and the actions we perform. If we speak life( positive,uplifting,encouraging words), we will sow life. Speaking death(negative words ,critical attitudes towards ourselves or others) will cause us to reap death.
7) Commitment to stick: Often on reaching this stage we may feel that our job is done. As actually we have completed the doing, we may get impatient to see the desired result but we are forced to wait patiently as digging up the soil is only going to destroy our hard work. This is a crucial time when we need to commit to stay till we get the desired result. Many times thinking that what we have been doing has not yielded results we may be tempted to give up our efforts to maintain what we have started. Just like we need to continue watering the garden and giving it the necessary fertilizer and believing that one day we will see the result of our hard work, there are many times in life when we may have to just stay faithfully continuing what we know we have to do whether we feel like it or not.
8) Irrelevancy of Comparison: As mentioned in the 1st point each plot of land given was unique and the choices that we made were ours, the work we put into it, the seed we sowed were all different, then how can we compare our garden with another’s? Often times we may look over the fence and see our neighbours’ garden in full bloom while all we see in ours is brown patches of earth. We may then be envious or we may call them lucky, we may even feel our efforts fruitless and the waiting may suddenly seem longer but then we need to remember that they may have started long before us, they may have worked harder, their choice of crop may be different from ours and so in reality the comparison is really not at all relevant. Instead let us enjoy the beauty of their garden and taste the sweetness of their fruit all the while believing that one day our garden too will be beautiful and then they too will rejoice with us.
Nugget of Life: Your life is your garden and you are the gardener. Make sure you make the most beautiful garden that you can while you are here on earth. Surely, one day someone may stop by just to tell you how they admire the work of your hands!
Have a beautiful week!