“Fight one more round when your feet are so tired that you have to shuffle back to the centre of the ring.Fight one more round when your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard.Fight one more round when your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired that you wish your opponent would rack you in the jaw and put you to sleep.Fight one more round remembering that the man who always fights one more round is never whipped.”- James Corbett, the famous boxer.
I recently watched SAAWARIYA, which I didn’t really like but from which I got this lovely gem which is the real inspiration behind this post. In the first half of the movie the protagonist, the charming Saawariya (Ranbir) meets the lovely Sakina (Sonam Kapoor) for the first time. On seeing her downcast eyes, he enacts to her this life changing truth that puts into her (and I hope into you too today) , the spirit to FIGHT ONE MORE ROUND!
Ranbir Raj : “Pretend life is like a boxing ring and unhappiness is your opponent. It has countless hands but you have two. If it appears before you, don’t be afraid. Look straight into its eyes…. understand and gauge its strength and then ….[don’t forget unhappiness is a very strong opponent.] Now start fighting. Move. Bounce. It will first get you in the face. You will be hurt. No worries, keep fighting. With the next hit, you will fall but the trick is to stand up and face it. Because if you give up by the 3rd round, then every punch will fill your eyes with tears, every jab will steal the smile from your lips. By the 5th round, it’ll force its way into your home…and snatch away all happiness. By the 6th round, everything you love will be finished. It will be a total knock out and the winner will be unhappiness….Yes! Yes! Yes!…..
Ranbir’s tone is so powerfully challenging that we scream back along with Sakina – NO! and we are encouraged to Fight one More Round just as she did …. she laughs and so does he; mission accomplished! I liked the ending of the movie where we see him fighting one more round, this time alone but – the opponent (unhappiness)and the spot remain the same! 😉
In my attempt to share the above truth with you, I looked up BOXING for the first time ever and came across this amazing write up from which I learnt some really interesting and new things about Boxing. Below are some of the highlights. To enjoy the excellent piece, click here.
1) Boxing is a reflection of life. It has both the nasty and the good things we experience in life- greed and hate, dishonesty and corruption, pain and failure pride and grace, honor and nobility, honesty and pure pleasure.
2) Boxing is about Self discipline & Dedication: It is a sport of constant training of both the body and mind. Unlike in team sports, in boxing there is no one else to depend on but yourself.
3) Boxing is about mental strength- A fighter can be in perfect shape. His skills can be sharp as a razor, his reflexes can be honed like a jungle cat, but if his mind is not strong his body will fail. “The battle has already begun and the bell for round one has not even rung.”
4) Boxing gives you the greatest feeling in the world. It makes you feel alive. Is there any joy greater than the taste of victory? Is there anything more bitter then defeat?
5) Boxing is the struggle to be the best. It’s poetry in motion. It is art at its highest form. It’s the sweet science. It’s watching two professionals with a true understanding of the trade putting on a show.
6) Boxing is about giving everything you have- determination, durability & power but it is also a sport of self discovery. Fighters are the most special of people. They understand that it’s their job to get into a ring and fight another person, but they also understand that it’s a time of self-discovery.
7) Boxing like life, is an individual sport; ultimately, it is up to the individual to fail or succeed.
Wow…I loved that amazing write up… and now, can you believe it? I love BOXING!!! 😉
Nugget of Life : When life punches you in the face and you find yourself hurt and flat on the floor, remind yourself that YOU are a champion, gingerly get up, brace yourself and then FIGHT ONE MORE ROUND! YOU will definitely be the winner.
Enjoy this inspiring BOXING Video: Click : http://youtu.be/IoUQRglIhi8
Happy Boxing! Have a great week.
Copyright & Permissions: © Sparky Laurie and ‘NUGGETS OF LIFE’, 2011.Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sparky Laurie and ‘NUGGETS OF LIFE’ with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.